When's the next problem?

On a beautiful afternoon, I was sitting on the floor in the corridor outside the chemistry lab. That was the first-ever chemistry lab session in my life, But I was sent out. The diagram of my beaker looked like an earthen pot, with a thick neck and eraser marks, My Lab Record wasn't covered using the brown sheets. Furious yet anxious, I began, drawing and redrawing the diagrams over and over again. Like a marketing salesman trying to close his target for the month, I walked to my lab teacher many times, only to get chased out of the hall repetitively. It was the first time, I was sent out of class. As a person, who used to believe in the superstition of Bad beginnings results in a Bad Year, I felt heartbroken. Lab sessions were usually the last two hours of our school time, The final bell rang and I walked out of the school trying to hide my tears.  "Marks gone!" I repeated as I met my friends just after school in a broad sandy pathway between two buildings.  "What happened?" One of my two friends asked as he spotted my face red with frustration yet drenched in tears. He was a year older than me.  I narrated the incident to them, emphasizing "Marks gone!" over a hundred times stronger than the rest of the words, that I randomly blurted out.  
Halfway through the narration, another friend joined the consolation. The four of us, spent a lot of time together after school every day. Two of them were my batchmates and one is a year elder to us (Although he was of the same age as us). All of them were surprised after they heard the incident that had happened. I was known among my friends particularly for my artwork and being sent out of the class spotting my diagrams as a complaint was something that my friends couldn't accept.
"She was just jealous of the way you drew the diagram!" One of them said (Today, we are matured enough to deem this phrase which was supposedly an attempt to comfort me as stupid. But as a teary-eyed 9th grader, it was amazing feeling.) "Yeah! Yeah!" The others expressed their support too.
I was offered some water by one of them, I drank an enormous gulp. They patted my shoulders and asked me to go home.

I returned home and narrated the entire incident all over again to my mother. Who was equally confused as me, being a Science Teacher, she was worried about this too. After discussing with my father, she said- "I won't come to school nor will I talk to your Chemistry Teacher regarding this. You should deal with this yourself, it is a trivial issue." Well, Today, when I look back at the chaos, I had in my mind back then- Yeah Dude, It is a really trivial issue indeed, it is stupid.
Months later, I held a neatly covered chemistry practical record in my hand. Golden Star Stickers and positive remarks filled the index page, and my chemistry teacher had a really good opinion about me. I was happy, everybody was.

Here, what my parents taught me indirectly was- 'Consider a trivial issue- trivial, instead of bloating it up unnecessarily and blaming the world for a mistake you had done knowingly or unknowingly.'

If my parents had consulted my chemistry teacher after that incident, there is a very high chance that she would associate me with that particular incident every time she saw me. Which would, therefore, put me in an extremely negative portrayal. But, since the negative issue was kept low and I was asked to mask it with positive scenarios, things changed drastically. Today, if my chemistry teacher met me somewhere - she would remember me as the student who answered spontaneously in class, and various other positive things but not as the student who was sent out in his very first chemistry lab session for not presenting the record in the right manner.

When we look back at the things we cried for and stressed out as a kid, laying sleepless on our bed one night, we realize how childish it was of us to consider all those things as a problem in the least possible sense. Well homies, it is just your thoughts as you are adulting. I've cringed at a lot of my videos, recorded as a child, but I've read something associated with the Legendary Jim Carrey which read, 'A lot of things that you regret you did in the past may be the best decisions you've taken considering the situation you were in back then.'  The Self Confidence that I gained from the incident, that I mentioned above is not trivial like the incident. I learned to face problems myself, which has helped me to a large extent in the later period of high school. 

For a roadside stall owner, the biggest problem he has to face is if he/she doesn't have enough money to feed himself/herself and his/her family at the end of the day. 
For an average Middle-Class Worker, the biggest problem he/she has to face is to create a financial strategy that could help him/her spend enough and save enough.
For a CEO of a multinational company, the biggest problem is expecting the big problem that he/she is yet to face.
If the roadside stall owner isn't ready for the crisis that he/she might face that day, his/her family along with him/her might go to sleep hungry.
If the Worker isn't prepared to tackle the problem he/she might face at the end of each month (which means, his/her strategy had flaws), he/she would fall into a vicious cycle of debts and clutches of loans sharks.
If the CEO isn't prepared for the problems he/she is going to face the following day...Well, he/she is not fit for being a CEO in the first place.

Problems are everywhere, they are inevitable and unavoidable. 
It starts from the time you wake up - You might have overslept, your shirt wouldn't have been ironed, your keys would be missing, your glasses would have been dirty, your car wouldn't start.
to the time you go to sleep - You must have a really bad day, an embarrassing incident that happened to you in your workplace or university or school, the irritating eyesore after a welding session gone bad... it could be anything. What distinguishes you, from the rest of the people is the way you choose to live through the problems than complaining. Why are distinguished people called distinguished? It's because their ways are not ordinary, they think, interact, work, behave in a way that is different from 7 billion other people. 
They could be stoic or overwhelmed or underwhelmed at a given situation, but they treat them differently.  If a problem can be created, a problem can be solved. Just like any numerical in physics, you have different approaches, but the solution is one. All you got to do, is stay calm and solve it, until you draw those double lines beneath the answer, pack up and prepare for the next problem. 

Problems and Frustration keep you alive, if there aren't any issues then life would just be like an adult in boring kids train riding through the mall with nursery rhymes being played in the background and not the adrenaline-pumping rollercoaster ride with the slow lift and the dead drops and the excited screams of all those who ride on them!






Comments

Popular Posts